March 11, 2012

Remembering

What was I doing on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 p.m. ? Many people have asked me this question and I’ve shared with them our family’s experience from that day. I have also relived those minutes, hours and days after the earthquake countless times in my head. It’s officially been a year now, but it still feels like it happened yesterday. Maybe that’s because there are constant reminders everywhere. I know this story has fallen out of the news in the rest of the world, but here we are always reading about the events of that day, the ongoing nuclear disaster, the rebuilding efforts in the region and of course, stories of those who lost loved ones. Some make me smile and some make me cry. I’m amazed by how much has been accomplished in the Tohoku region, but at the same time, I’m saddened by how much still needs to be done. Our hearts go out to those who lost loved ones and those still trying to rebuild their communities and their lives.
Kizuna Nippon, meaning "Bond-Japan",
seemed an appropriate statement as it
symbolizes not only Japan coming
together in a time of struggle, but also
a joining of spirit across the globe.

Setting up bamboo candles at Odaiba Seaside park

Candles and Rainbow Bridge

Fireworks over Tokyo Bay

Lanterns with messages of hope

No comments:

Post a Comment