May 29, 2014

Balestier Heritage Trail

The National Heritage Board designates certain streets / areas of the country with historical significance. Sometimes it's a park or an area like Little India or China Town, but there are also neighborhoods which have designated "heritage trails" where you can follow signs that describe certain buildings, homes and temples. I joined a photography group that has been exploring these trails and this week we visited Balestier Road.

We started at the Goh Chor Tua Pek Kong
Buddhist temple which was built in 1847.
I'm not sure what this women was burning!


Pre-war terrace houses

Some were better taken care of than others

Shop houses built in the 1920's

The colorful Thong Teck Sian temple which
holds three traditional Chinese religions;
Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism.
Supposedly, it is unique to have all three together.

Chanting monk

One more temple!
The Burmese Buddhist Temple

This temple had several large Buddha statues

I have never seen Buddhas with flashing lights
behind them... it was very Las Vegas-esque!

On the third floor, another large Buddha

The lights were very hypnotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment